Looking for a place to publish short fiction?
Submissions are closed for Cougars on the Prowl and it is in production. Watch for our next "Shaker of Margarita" submissions announcement.
Mozark Press – Call for Submissions
Submissions Period: January 1 – March 1, 2011
$20 Paid for Stories Published in the Anthology
Mozark Press seeks well-written fiction stories for an upcoming anthology, A Shaker of Margaritas: Cougars on the Prowl.
Older women hooking up with younger men intrigue us. What is their story? Does age really matter? Is she looking for a fountain of youth and is he just arm candy? Could he be out to take advantage of her? Maybe he’s after her fortune. Or did she get lucky and find the love of her life?
Your story may be humorous, romance, mystery, suspense, or any genre set in modern times. No stories involving underage men will be accepted. Please avoid sexually explicit content or profane language. It is okay to allude to sexual encounters or to use an occasional swear word.
Cougars on the Prowl will be published in 2011. The anthology will be Boomer Lit, or in the category “Women of a Certain Age,” so indicate that the female character is a baby boomer (born between 1946 – 1964).
What’s in it for you?
- If your story is selected for the anthology, you be paid $20 upon publication and receive a free copy of the book with your story.
- Authors whose work appears in the book will be given a one-time opportunity to pre-purchase additional books at 60% of retail price + postage.
Of course, you don’t like rules, but we have a few:
- Fiction stories must be between 1,500 – 3,500 words.
- Only previously unpublished works will be considered.
- No poetry.
- Must be written in English.
- One entry per person.
- Electronic submissions only, subject line: “Cougar Submission” email to publisher@Mozarkpress.com.
- Twelve point, Times New Roman, double spaced.
- Send title page and story in a single Microsoft Word document attached to email.
- On the title page, give your name, contact information—address, phone number, and email address –word count, a short bio (150 words or less) written in third person, the title of the story, and first line of the manuscript.
- No identifying information on manuscript, but do provide story title and page numbers in header or footer.
For the best chance of success:
- Proofread. Typos and grammatical errors will send your story to the bottom of the pile.
- Read your work aloud to see how it flows.
- Start with action.
- Use conversation to move your story.
- Don’t get hung up on back story. We want to know what’s going on now.
- Have a critique group read your story.
By submitting to the anthology, you give first publication rights to Mozark Press for print and electronic publication if your story is selected. You also give Mozark Press permission to publish excerpts for publicity or on the publisher’s website without further compensation. You certify your story is original, unpublished, and written by you. If selected, your story will be published unless you send a written withdrawal within thirty days of the submission closing date. Payment will be made upon publication. Stories withdrawn shall not be eligible for payment.
Approximately 20-25 stories will be selected for the anthology. Impartial judges will select the stories eligible for publication. The judges’ and publisher’s decisions are final. The publisher reserves the sole right to cancel the project if not enough qualified entries are submitted to justify publishing the anthology.